Saturday, July 16, 2011

Plans.

I must tell you all- I am heartbroken. A boy I knew and loved died last night, on July 15th. His name was Harry Potter, and he was killed by Voldemort.

Now for those of you hopeless people out there who have NOT read the books, first of all you make me very sad, and second of all, I'm not going to tell you what happens in this movie because that would be rude of me.

But I will tell you about that night.
I got to see the final movie in the amazing, decade long phenomenon series of books and movies, HARRY POTTER & THE DEATHLY HALLOWS PART 2. It was the most amazing night in a long time. I dressed as Voldemort's faithful servant, Bellatrix, and went to the midnight premier showing at 12:01 in 3D. The entire audience acted as one from the very moment the lights dimmed in the theatre. Through the entire movie, we all cried, laughed, clapped, and cheered together at all the right moments. The end recieved the most thunderous applause of all, only beating out Mrs. Weasley's line to Bellatrix- "Not my daughter, you BITCH!"- by a few hoots and hollers and pairs of hands. But I felt, empty when the lights came up. It truly felt like a part of me had died.

Harry Potter was my childhood, what I grew up with, the one place that I modeled all of my childhood imaginations and dreams off of. Harry Potter was the defining characteristic of my generation. Now that it's finally over, what else is there for me to hold onto in my pre-adult life that still connects me to my youth? It's.... over. Those words are hard for me to accept, or understand. I don't want to believe it's over. I tried to accept it, but acceptance won't come. So an idea formed in my head. I can make Harry Potter live on. ME. And that's what I plan to do.

So. Here's the point of my post (really):
I'm planning on writing a fan fiction. I'm announcing this, because I think I'm going to make this a big project. I'm going to spend a long time on it, not half-assing or anything. I'm going to do my intense Harry Potter research, plotting timelines, bloodlines, and storylines. I'm not just going to write a story that I don't know how it's going to end. I'm going to write a story, and know exactly where, who, what, when, and why is happening. I want to know my characters inside and out before I write a word about anything they do. I want to know my setting better than the very town I grew up in. I want this more than I want anything. So this is what I will do.

1. Research Phase
-Reading the books again.
-Noting each bloodline (Harry's, Ron's, Hermione's, Voldemort's, Dumbledore's.)
-Noting each friend-foe relationship, allegiance (Voldemort, or Dumbledore/Harry)

2. Outline Phase
-Character development (name, age, personality, lineage, parenthood, ect.)
-Chapter plotline
-Draft ending, work backwards drafting chapter-by-chapter

3. Writing Phase
-Working backwards, make a rough draft of each chapter.
-PROOFREAD. Make necessary changes.
-Draft FORWARDS this time.
-PROOFREAD. Make necessary changes.
-Compare both rough manuscripts
-Combine (if necessary)

4. Editing Phase
-Pretty self-explanatory. Edit the F**K out of it.

After that, I don't know how many years will have gone by, but hopefully (maybe?) this will only take a year or two. But seriously, after that, I'm not sure what to do. Send a rough first chapter out to publishing companies. I doubt they'll take another look at a fan fiction, but I'd love them to at least look. Maybe I'll get lucky.


I know this seems like a lot of hype over something I'm inevitably going to give up. I always seem to. But this time is different. There's a personal connection, an emotion attached behind the motives to do this. I want this so badly. I want to make Harry Potter even more immortal than J.K. Rowling has made him. It's going to be a lot of work, but I'm looking forward to it.

6 comments:

  1. I love you. I love you so much. This is exactly how I felt. Just, the music at the end of the movie was the same music that ended the first movie and all of the memories flooded back to me. This is more impact-ful than the college transition. Bahh. I never want it to end. And I want to assist in any way I can with the fanfic. totes :]

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh, and future- geared stories would be awesome! Second generation? or.. or what happened in the 19 years that passed :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. that's actually exactly what I'm planning. I know there's already a million of them out there, but I really want to do one about Scorpius and Rose.... I like the second generation because she never really did anything with them, and left it hanging WIDE open for anyone. Neither of their characters were really developed at all, and that means I pretty much have free reign over them except names and ages, and that's really not a big deal.

    ReplyDelete
  4. yayaya! And I shall be reading the books again as well (for my harry potter blog) as time allows, so we should synchronize that or something :]

    ReplyDelete
  5. YESSSSS :) we should! yes yes!

    ReplyDelete
  6. omg. I saw the movie and absolutely HATED the ending. they didn't even remotely follow the book. But yeah I felt the same way at the end.. plus pissed off-ness.

    I really like the idea of writing beyond the books. You could go into the issues that Harry had from battling Voldemort constantly and how he has a hard time connecting with others etc. I want to read it when you're done!!

    ReplyDelete